Le Château de la Mothe-Chandeniers
The stronghold dates to the thirteenth century and was originally called Motte Bauçay (or Baussay). The castle is a former stronghold of the Bauçay family, lords of Loudun. The Motte Baussay was taken several times by the English during the Hundred Years’ War and devastated during the French Revolution.
It was bought in 1809 by François Hennecart, a wealthy businessman. In 1857, it was sold to Baron Joseph Lejeune. In 1932, a major fire destroyed most of the buildings in the castle.
In December 2017, 18,600 members of an online community raised €1,600,000, by paying at least €50 each, to purchase the castle with the aim of restoring it.